tomato and roasted red pepper soup


I've been itching for a slight change around here style-wise and was happy to brighten things up around the blog.  I'm in the process of doing a rehaul in all things in my life right now, big and small, and it seemed appropriate to doing a little something different to the layout here while I'm at it.   You might've noticed my Etsy store linked around the blog before as well, but I haven't quite talked about it before -- I'd like to, maybe eventually, but in a way I like how this has became kind of strictly food-related here.   Either way, my shop is another of those things I'm rehauling and I'm having a lot of fun doing it (and shopping for it, hehe) but it has been taking up a lot of my food, or food blogging energy I might have.

So, while it's no change to my diet as of late, I'm sharing with you today a soup I made that was inspired by a recent outing to Milkboy, a bar and venue in Philadelphia.  They had some really delicious drinks (made by an exceptionally nice bartender), and a couple vegan options on the menu!  I got myself The Handsome (Makers Mark, ginger & thyme) and The R5 (Bulleit Rye, blood orange).  Both were great, though I think I might have to make the former a regular of mine; I can't get enough thyme in anything.  And then I warmed myself up with a bowl of this soup, or something like it.  Obviously I liked it enough to want to try to make a batch at home, and although it didn't come out quite the same, it sure came out tasty.

You'll Need:
2 red bell peppers, roasted, peeled and chopped
4 ripe tomatoes, chopped
2 tbsp Earth Balance
1/2 cup chopped shallot
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups vegetable broth
1/4-1/2 cup fresh chopped basil
1 tbsp thyme
2 tsp paprika
pinch of sugar
salt and pepper to taste

Directions:

Melt Earth Balance in a large soup pot over medium heat.  Add shallots and cook 2 minutes.  Add garlic and cook until fragrant and shallots are tender.  Add chopped tomatoes and dried spices and stir.  Cook an addition 10 minutes until tomatoes begin to break down, careful to stir to keep from sticking.  Add extra Earth Balance or oil if you feel like you need to.  Add the roasted red pepper and let cook another 5 minutes.

Add broth and let soup simmer another 15 minutes.  Add basil and stir; lower heat and allow to cook another 5 minutes.  Taste for seasoning.  Top with Almond Parmesan, if desired.

1 comment:

  1. That looks so delicious! Bookmarking to make sometime soon.

    ReplyDelete