pumpkin spinach quiche


I've got pumpkin on my mind, just like everyone else experiencing the cool temperature drops lately and this is one of the two recipes I came up to use up one quartered wedge of a pumpkin!  Luckily I was able to buy just that wedge at the Fair Food Farmstand, otherwise I'd be eating pumpkin for weeks.  Though I'm not sure I would mind that, really.  Quiche is one of my favorite things to make when I'm preparing for the work week ahead because it makes a great breakfast if I'm short on time and an even better packed lunch if I'm not :)

You'll Need:
1 recipe pastry crust (I used one from Veganomicon, but any savory version will do)

2 small sweet potatoes, skinned and sliced, roasted until just soft
1-2 cups roasted pumpkin, mashed*
1 large sweet onion, sliced and caramelized
2 handfuls baby spinach, roughly chopped

1/2 block of extra firm tofu, about 8 oz
1/4 cup nutritional yeast
2 tbsp nondairy milk
2 tbsp arrowroot powder, dissolved in 1 tbsp water
2 cloves garlic
2 tsp dijon mustard
1 tsp salt, or to taste
1/2 tsp pepper

1/2 tbsp tahini
2 tsp nondairy milk
pepitas, to garnish

* Note: You may use canned pumpkin puree here, but this and even fresh pumpkins, will vary in moisture content.  I suggest starting with 1 cup and adding more until you reach your desired thickness.  You'll want this to get very smooth and thick.


Directions
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and prepare your pastry crust inside a 9" pie dish.

Place the pumpkin, tofu, nutritional yeast, nondairy milk, arrowroot mixture, garlic, mustard and spices in the bowl of a food processor and blend until very smooth.  Transfer to a medium sized bowl and stir in your spinach.

To assemble the quiche, first place the caramelized onions at the bottom of the empty pie shell.  Then, layer the roasted sweet potatoes on top.  Pour the pumpkin-tofu-spinach mixture over the potato layer and spread to make everything even.

In a small bowl, or back in your food processor if you have to, mix together the tahini and nondairy milk to reach a milky consistency.  Drizzle over the top layer of the quiche and top with pepitas.  Bake for 40-45 mins, until crust begins to brown.   Let cool at least 20 mins before serving.



I didn't include any directions for the roasting times or caramelization process because I acted mostly on instinct myself, but there are heaps of directions readily available online if you need some guidance.

I was really pleased with the subtle pumpkin flavor of this quiche since I have plenty of bolder pumpkin undertakings to look forward to in the upcoming weeks.  I can't wait to pair this with a light salad for my lunch tomorrow, and to be honest, I do like my vegan quiches served almost cold which makes this the easiest next-day preparation I can think of.

10 comments:

  1. this looks SO GOOD. i definitely need to make this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks lovely and delicious! Saving for future reference. Thanks for sharing your recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. And...bookmarked! I'm glad I have my secret stash of frozen pumpkin puree. I could probably live off this quiche all winter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just popped mine into the oven! Even though I needed something quick and easy for dinner, I knew I needed to try this when I read it this morning!
    I have high hopes, all the elements taste good, so fingers crossed I haven't done anything to mess it up! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Freakin awesome! I only had a little slice as it's 10:10pm here, but I can't wait until lunch tomorrow!!! Thanks for the fantastic recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amanda, I'm so glad you were able to try and enjoy the recipe! And thanks for giving it a go despite it being a bit of a project ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks divine and I can't wait to make it. I've been loving so many of your posts so I've given you a Liebster Award > http://www.vegangela.com/2011/10/28/im-back-baby/ :)

    ReplyDelete