pot stickers



The corner store by my apartment sells the best little vegan goyza wrappers for 99 cents and I can't help buy stock up whenever I think to go there.  I bet making your own dough would be a fun project in itself, but I haven't tried it yet since they're so cheap to get pre-made.   And even with the pre-made wrappers, pot stickers are SO fun to make and much easier than you might think to put together.  I love just dreaming up new ways to fill these little guys, but here's one of my favorite fillings to-date.

You'll Need:
1/2 cup black mission figs
2 cups water
1/2 cup green onion, chopped
1 tbsp fresh ginger, minced
1 tbsp agave
1 tbsp rice vinegar
1 tbsp soy sauce
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
1/2 tsp five-spice powder
1/4 tsp sea salt
1/2 head of green cabbage, shredded
1/2 head of lacinto kale, sliced thinly
1/2 cup shredded carrot
1 cup seitan (or your favorite mushrooms), finely chopped

1 package goyza wrappers


Directions:
Place all of the ingredients of the first list (figs through salt) in a food processor and blend until creamy.  In a large bowl toss your cabbage, kale, carrot and seitan with the sauce from the food processor until coated.

Remove one wrapper from package and cover the remaining pile with a damp cloth.  Place your wrapper on a clean, flat surface and use your finger to dampen the edge of half of the wrapper with water.  Place 1 tsp of your filling in the middle of the wrapper and gently fold over one side to create a half moon.  Pinch and fold edge to create a seal.  Repeat process with remaining wrappers and keep finished pot stickers under a damp cloth until ready to cook.

Heat a large skillet with a touch of oil on medium heat.  Place as many pot stickers in the pan as you can without them touching.  Let fry for about 2 minutes or until bottoms begin to brown.  Add about 2-4 tbsp of water to the pan, reduce heat slightly and cover.  Let steam for another 2-3 minutes until skins are translucent.  Set aside and continue process until all are cooked.  Serve immediately with soy sauce or sweet chili sauce.




Ever since I discovered Mae Ploy Sweet Chili Sauce I haven't been able to eat much of anything without it, and these are no exception.  Soy sauce is a nice accompaniment but this one is better ;)  What do you guys like filling/dipping these in?

6 comments:

  1. You had me at figs and ginger :)
    I would really love to try these, but need to find some vegan gyoza wrappers first.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! I just stumbled across your blog on the www.randomofo.com feed. I'm a Norristown vegan and I hang out in West Philly a lot! So glad to see another local rockin' the MoFo!

    As for dumpling sauce, I like to shave some ginger into my soy sauce... and mix in some garlic and hot sauce too, maybe a little rice wine vinegar.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These sound - and look - so yummy. I love the addition of figs! And your photos are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ choirqueer - How cool! So glad you stumbled over here; I love checking in with my fellow neighbors to see what they're up to. And isn't West Philly such a great place to share the vegan love??

    And thanks, Rachel!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I added these to my Vegan MoFo roundup here (http://www.vegangela.com/2011/10/17/vegan-mofo-roundup/) - Can't wait to try 'em!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These look amazing and sound delicious! Definitely a bookmarked recipe.

    ReplyDelete